“Modern day slavery is a rising threat to our communities, and because of its hidden nature, is a major concern.”
In my opinion, there is no doubt that more people locally, need to be more aware of modern slavery to help tackle criminal gangs exploiting vulnerable workers living in squalor and on scandalous wages.
Thanks to work done by emergency services, suspected brothels have been shut down, convictions secured after car wash operators, nail bars and fast food outlets were all visited.
So many people unwittingly come into contact with potential victims of modern slavery while going about their daily lives and need to report their suspicions to help better expose the “hidden crime“.
The LGA is urging the public to look out for tell-tale signs, such as large numbers of people being ferried to and from properties in vans or minibuses early in the morning and returning late at night.
For more information, I’d suggest checking out www.modernslaveryhelpline.org
- Peterborough man arrested for trafficking, exploitation and modern slavery
- We urge anyone who has concerns that someone may be a victim of modern slavery to contact us as a matter of urgency.
- Eleven men – part of one family – have been convicted of modern day slavery….
- Research estimates there were between 10,000 and 13,000 potential victims of slavery in the UK in 2013.
- In 2015 there were 3,266 potential victims of modern slavery referred to the National Referral Mechanism – the UK’s framework for referring and supporting victims – which was a rise of 40 per cent on the 2,340 referrals in 2014. The number of referrals made by councils has risen from 172 in 2014 to 306 in 2015 – a rise of 78 per cent.
- Human trafficking for sexual exploitation, just one form of modern slavery, is estimated to cost the UK at least £890 million each year.
Common signs of modern slavery (pages 2-4)
- Under the Modern Slavery Act, councils have a duty to notify the Home Office of any individual encountered in England and Wales who they believe is a suspected victim of slavery or human trafficking.
- More information on modern slavery